Get involved - volunteer!
Volunteers are the heart of sport. Without volunteers, sport would not exist in the way it does in our country. At Sport Manawatu we recognise the effort put in by volunteers and the contribution they make to the sporting sector.
Join our volunteer database:
Please contact Sport Manawatu if you wish to become a sports volunteer.
50 Queen St
Did you know?
- 41,000 people are paid to work in sport in New Zealand, but half a million people are involved as volunteers. Without grassroots helpers, sport simply wouldn't happen - and players could never advance to world class level.
- Sports volunteers are coaches, umpires, scorers, starters, referees, judges and other officials.
- Volunteers in sport also include people who: wash the uniforms, transport the team, cut the oranges, fill the water bottles, clean the clubrooms and give their time in other ways.
Here are just some of the many reasons to become a volunteer:
- share a skill
- get to know a community
- demonstrate commitment to a cause
- gain leadership skills
- satisfaction from accomplishment
- for recognition
- donate your professional skills
- have an impact
- learn something new
- be challenged
- feel proud
- make new friends
- explore a career
- help someone
- do something different from your job
- for fun!
- keep skills alive
- have an excuse to do what you love
- feel good
- be part of a team
- gain status
- build your resume.
So how do I get involved?
- the Sport Manawatu volunteer database. Members of the volunteer database receive benefits such as: an annual function, random prizes, free entry to events, giveaways, references (on request), experience in the events industry, recognition from event organisers and many others. You will be given opportunities in a huge range of different sporting events, and often these will only require a few hours of your time. There are no obligations to assist once you're on the database, so you can work volunteering in to suit your own timetable and interests.contact our events coordinator, or simply complete our online registration (link below). You will also need to complete a Police Check, which can also be downloaded below. Please print this and return to us at 50 Queen Street, Palmerston North, we will send it to the Police for processing.
Volunteer related sites and help for volunteers: