If you run an exercise class for older people, or have been thinking of starting, we’d like to hear from you.
ACC, the Ministry of Health, District Health Boards, Primary Health Organisations, and Sport Manawatu are working together to develop and support, approved community strength and balance classes throughout New Zealand communities.
What are the benefits of becoming an approved community group strength and balance class?
You will be:
- Part of a national network.
- Given FREE training from your Lead Agency to support you to deliver approved community group strength and balance classes.
- Given support to continue to meet the criteria.
- Able to use the quality logo tick of approval and benefit from national promotion.
- Linked to the local communities (GPs, nurses, physiotherapists, pharmacists, podiatrists) and other organisations involved in preventing falls in your region.
- Joining a network of other like-minded professionals and organisations to share success, challenges and ideas, and
- Benefiting from increased referrals to your exercise programme.
What are the benefits for older people in my community?
They will increase their strength and balance, reduce their risk of falls and fall related injuries (e.g. broken hips), continue to contribute to their families and communities and live in independent lives.