Whether you are starting out as a new coach, or having been coaching for years, Sport Manawatu offers different coaching programmes to help develop and support your coaching skills.
Grassroots Coaching Course
Sport Manawatu’s Grassroots Coaching Course is designed to help coaches who do not have access to sport modules or for those who want to better understand the coaching process.
- The role of the coach
- The coaching process
- Teaching a skill
- Session components
Grassroots Coaching Courses are run based on demand. If you would like to attend a course, please register below and you will be informed when and where the next course will be held.
Growing Coaches is a Sport New Zealand programme that is designed to support the development of student coaches. It is a leadership programme for secondary school students who want to coach sport at schools (secondary, primary, intermediate) or clubs.
The programme involves eight hours of learning about coaching; 4 hours of generic and 4 hours of sport-specific. Coaches deliver 15 hours of coaching experience .
- As part of the Physical Education programme, aligned to NCEA achievement standards
- As part of a sport leadership course
- As a separate student-coach development programme, possibly outside of class hours
- Growing Coaches Programme Guide
- Growing Coaches Journal
- Growing Coaches Gear Bag
- Facilitator workshop guidelines
4 x workshop presentations :
- Workshop 1 What is Coaching?
- Workshop 2 Designing great coaching sessions
- Workshop 3 Games approach
- Workshop 4 Coach leadership
Achievement standards that closely match the Growing Coaches programme include:
- AS 90966 (1.5) Setting the Scene
- AS 90966 (1.5) Using interpersonal skills to coach an athlete or team
- AS 90967 (1.6) Can we improve performance
- AS 90969 (1.8) Coaching encourages participation
- AS 91328 (2.2) Using Knowledge to improve
- AS 91332 (2.6) Coaching a team
For more information please visit the Sport New Zealand website.
If you would like to find out more about Growing Coaches, please phone Shaun Whenuaroa on (06) 357 5349.
Coach Developer Training
Coaches help more people play sport, more often and with greater success. Improving the number and quality of coaches is therefore crucial to growing participation and membership in our clubs and ensuring they continue to survive.
Having skilled regional Coach Developers to provide coach development and support opportunities will not only improve the number and quality of coaches, but will help coaches to provide fun, safe and quality experience for our athletes.
The Sport Manawatu Coach Developer training programme is designed to provide regional Coach Developers with the necessary knowledge and information as how to effectively go about developing and supporting coaches at the club and school level. It is based on the Sport New Zealand Coach Developers Training Programme which will ensure continued international best practice in coach education delivery and development.
This Coarse will give you the skills to deliver an effective and engaging presentation.Of the many presentation tips out there we will focus on three:
- Story Telling – We are story tellers by nature , use stories to emotionally connect with your audience
- Use of the Voice – Vocal Variety , Avoid gap fillers as much as possible
- Body Language – Engage your audience with open body language
And one last one PRACTICE the above and you will give great presentations.
To view the full coarse, Click Here