What is the Sports Event Partnership Fund?
The fund is to be allocated throughout the Sport Manawatu’s financial year from 1 July – 30 June.
Purpose of the Fund
The purpose of the Sports Event Partnership Fund is to support operational cost for sports events hosted in Palmerston North, events that reinforce economic growth and/or community spirit through the provision of grants.
Sport Manawatu in coordination with the district councils, has four main priorities that influence funding decisions:
- To attract and retain national secondary school events to the region
- To attract and retain events that drive a significant economic impact to the region (attract 200+ visitors to the region who will stay in the region for at least one evening)
- To support events that enhance community spirit, with a further focus on new events and events that have the potential for growth. The event must be available to large parts of the community and in some way encourage people to get more active, more often
- To attract events that are of significant national and/or international importance and positively profile the region.
Predominantly, the fund is used to cover:
- Facility costs
- Venue hire
- Administration costs
- First aid costs
- Officials, referees, score bench, and umpire costs
The following items will not be funded:
- Grants to non-affiliated social sports clubs or teams, including those playing in corporate leagues
- Trade tournaments or sporting events staged primarily for commercial publicity and/or the benefit of a select industry group
- Affiliation fees, individual or team memberships, and subscriptions
- Dress uniforms, footwear, training uniforms, personal gear bags, and souvenir t-shirts
- Laundry costs, commercial gym fees, and major medical costs
- Prizes, including medals, trophies or cash prizes
- Grants to any sports facility run for commercial profit, such as 10 pin bowling centres, billiard parlours, ‘country clubs’ for golf, or clubs with closed memberships
- Trips for supporters and spectators, or after-match functions
- Privately owned organisations or ventures for personal gain
- Events that are principally social in nature (e.g. after-match functions, parties, and balls)
- Provision and maintenance of facilities set up to provide social activities
- The purchase of alcohol, drinks, food, and refreshments
These are not exhaustive lists. Please contact the fund administrator for more information.
Who can apply?
To be eligible, the organisation leading the event must be an incorporated society, trust, association, company, or a community group with an ‘umbrella organisation’
(An umbrella organisation is an association of (often related, industry-specific) institutions, who work together formally to coordinate activities or pool resources)
The fund is open throughout the financial year. Applications must be submitted at least eight weeks prior to the event date.
How to apply
Please get in touch with the Fund Administrator below.
The purpose of the Sports Event Partnership Fund is to support operational coAn event report needs to be filled out eight weeks after the event – please download the report here: